Who are we?
Born from the global movement spawned by bestselling-author Eric Ries, Lean Startup Company offers the most exciting education solutions in modern management available today.
We help advance Lean Startup principles, which provide a cutting edge, scientific framework for innovation and customer development so organizations of all sizes can effectively adapt and adjust before it’s too late.
Our year-round education efforts transform how organizations work by arming them with an entrepreneurial methodology. We serve every size company and sector of the economy — from the the aspiring entrepreneur to high-growth startups, nonprofits, and large bureaucratic institutions. They look to us for practical lessons in modern management. We serve our highly-engaged community with professional, practical content and live events and by connecting leaders with experts who can coach them in Lean Startup.
Who are we seeking?
We have a hearty community of enthusiastic followers who come to us for the latest entrepreneurial discoveries and discussion topics. We’re seeking a Head of Content who will further establish Lean Startup Co. as the content authority on all things innovation and entrepreneurship related. You’ll lead the charge in ensuring our content stands for something greater and deeper than just our services.
You’ll provide our community with fresh insight, invaluable resources, and opportunities to engage with leading innovation experts across platforms. Our team is small but growing, so your role matters to us and will offer significant growth. The position is a 100% remote, contract-to-hire role, but we ask that you’re 1) located in the U.S. and 2) available to communicate during Pacific Time business hours.
This sounds like a dream job! What skill set and experience will demonstrate to you that I have the chops to lead Lean Startup Co’s content strategy?
- You deeply care about the needs and interests of your community and know what it takes to build trust and readership. You have battle-tested questions and customer development strategies to build content based on audience needs and feedback.
- You’re a masterful storyteller. You’re a writer, editor, and curator at heart. You understand storytelling, narrative hooks, and you know a catchy idea when you hear it. You find the hidden gems and angles that showcase unique perspectives, engage audiences, and bring stories to life.
- You’re a strategic thinker who understands the importance of playing the long game. You’ve grown an online content destination before and know how to establish and iterate upon the stories you publish to maximize impact.
- You’re a natural networker. You love connecting with the most talented people across fields, disciplines, and companies. You’re just a phone call or email introduction away from any up-and-comer or big name you’d like to cover. You also recognize that “content” is a crowded space—and that it’s your job to ensure exceptional writing gets in front of the right people. You aren’t intimidated by networking, friendly outreach emails, and working with others to promote your ideas.
- The content you’ve established for companies in the past has a clear voice and POV. Even when writing for professionals, your brand’s personality comes through.
- You have a track record of accomplishments demonstrating your content marketing prowess and want to get better. Your teams can attest to the results of your work in audience and community development, content and channel optimization, segmentation, analytics, establishing thought leadership, and increasing readership, subscribers.
I’ve already achieved the above results for at least one other company and am excited to do this for Lean Startup Co.! How will you measure my success?
Your role will be focused on further establishing Lean Startup Company as an exceptional source of information on innovation and entrepreneurship. The success metrics we’ll be looking at are:
- Increased consumption, engagement and sharing metrics
- Growth of existing readership to 100,000’s of monthly subscribers
- Positive brand recognition and awareness (e.g. brand searches and unaided awareness)
I’m confident that I can attain the above goals and outcomes in this role. What will I be doing on a day-to-day basis?
As the Head of Content, you will spearhead all content marketing initiatives, across multiple platforms and formats, engagement, retention, leads, and positive customer behavior. You’ll lead initiatives on:
- BRAND STORY AND VOICE CONSISTENCY.
- You’ll ensure all content is on-brand, consistent in terms of style, quality, and tone, and optimized for search and user experience across all channels.
- CONTENT STRATEGY & EDITORIAL CALENDAR.
- You’ll identify and interview luminaries, network leaders, and founders — some of the most talented people across fields, disciplines, and companies —and create original, compelling content based on their stories. We seek to share lessons from both big names and newbies.
- You’ll map out a content strategy and editorial calendar that supports and extends marketing initiatives, both short- and long-term. Continuous evolvement of strategy and calendar are a must.
- AUDIENCE DEVELOPMENT.
- Regularly integrate customer development work into the editorial strategy. This includes conducting ongoing usability tests to gauge content effectiveness as well as gathering data and analytics, and making recommendations based upon those results.
- CROSS FUNCTIONAL CONTENT INTEGRATION
- Work with the Sales and Marketing teams to ensure collateral is in line with messaging from the content marketing perspective.
- SYSTEMS, WORKFLOWS AND PROCESSES.
- Create and own Content Playbooks. This includes developing standards, systems, workflows, and processes (both human and technological) for content creation, distribution, maintenance, retrieval, and repurposing, including the real-time implementation of content strategies.
- Establish the workflow for requesting, creating, editing, publishing, and retiring content.
- Manage content across multiple channels and create a log/library directory system to be able to track and search as needed.
- MONITORING THE LARGER INNOVATION ECOSYSTEM
- Stay on top of the latest conversation points, thorny issues, and hot topics related to entrepreneurship and innovation and ensure our content reflects these discussions.
- OVERSEE CONTRIBUTORS
- This includes internal and external team members who contribute content, from freelance writers and editors to education faculty members.
You’ll fit right into this role and our team if:
- You have experience with, and ENJOY working for a young, growing startup. You’ll work directly with Lean Startup Co.’s co-founder and must love balancing the big picture, strategic thinking with rolling up your sleeves and getting into the details.
- You love that we’re seeking a fresh voice and a creative, ambitious leader to step into this role. You’re excited to build out the content marketing function from the ground up. This includes developing high level content strategy and executing on it from start to finish. Over time, you may even build a team around you to help fulfill our vision.
- You’re curious and resourceful. You LOVE solving problems and aren’t afraid to admit you’re obsessed with getting the details right.
- You have a strong sense of ownership and urgency as it relates to the health of the company.
- You possess high levels of integrity, autonomy, and self-motivation.
- You are open to feedback, take ownership of your mistakes, and love applying your lessons learned to get 10x better.
- You have a keen ability to manage competing and changing priorities.
- You are assertive, fair, and capable of directing others and implementing projects with little to no supervision.
- You work well with cross-functional teams and hold yourself accountable for your actions.
- Bachelor's degree in English, Journalism, Public Relations or related communications field. Advanced degree or on the job training in marketing a plus.
- Excellent written, verbal, and presentation skills.
- 5-10 years of experience as a respected leader in multichannel content creation (publishing, journalism, etc.).
- Skilled new media strategist— has a “nose” for the story and channel it’s best delivered through, whether that’s written, audio, video, or another format. (If your dream job is spinning out press releases, sorry, this isn’t it).
- Able to screen out sales pitches and look for the relevant brand and customer story.
- Project management skills related to editorial schedules and deadlines.
- The ability to lead and inspire remote content creators.
- Skilled at blending long-form and immediate content creation distribution strategies and tactics.
- The ability to think like an educator, intuitively understanding what the audience needs to know and how they want to consume it.
- Clear articulation of the business/audience goal behind the creation of a piece (or series) of content.
- Familiarity with principles of marketing (and the ability to adapt or ignore them as dictated by data).
- Fluent in web analytics tools, social media marketing applications, and leading social media monitoring platforms.
- A willingness to embrace change and to adapt strategies on the fly.
- Continually learning the latest platforms, technology tools, and marketing solutions
- Familiarity with and enjoys working remotely and collaboratively (Slack, Zoom, Google apps).
- Ability to juggle and prioritize many different tasks simultaneously, and enjoys collaborating with a wide range of teams.
Bonus if you have:
- Have a journalistic/editorial background
- Have lead a marketing team
- Content creation and/or marketing experience in the Lean Startup, tech and/or innovation space. You don’t necessarily need deep knowledge, but these topics fascinate you. You have genuine interest in becoming a domain expert and are passionate about empowering and growing our community.
- Built your own following through a personal brand/blog
- Comfortable with acting as the company's spokesman and advocate via media appearances, interviews, trade shows, etc.
- Experience creating a resource or organized library of content with relevant tags for easy searching
Why You’ll Love Working With Us
- We encourage growth.
You can work from wherever you want in the U.S., as long as you have a working laptop and solid internet connection and are available to communicate during Pacific Time business hours.
- If it’s your dream to become a leader in an organization, this is the role for you. We seek people who want to be promoted and grow with us.
- You’ll have your very own Lean Startup coach to support practicing Lean Startup methods in your work.
- We’re a 100% remote team using fun collaborative tools.
- We encourage unplugging and prefer you don’t check email while you’re off the clock.
- If you’ve ever wanted to be in the middle of a legacy-making organization, this position is for you. The work we do will go down in history as powerfully transformative.
- We are a startup with global brand recognition headquartered in San Francisco, CA. Our global community will give you a front row seat to the challenges they’re facing around innovation. Better yet, you get to help them solve their problems.
*Note - We understand that you are eager to hear back from us. We receive a lot of applications and cannot respond to all of them. Please do not reach out to us regarding your application. If there is a mutual fit, we will contact you to move forward with the next steps in the process.