Born from the global movement spawned by bestselling-author Eric Ries, Lean Startup Company offers the most exciting education solutions in modern management available today.
We help advance Lean Startup principles, which provide a cutting edge, scientific framework for innovation and customer development so organizations of all sizes can effectively adapt and adjust before it’s too late.
Our year-round education efforts transform how organizations work by arming them with an entrepreneurial methodology. We serve every size company and sector of the economy — from the the aspiring entrepreneur to high-growth startups, nonprofits, and large bureaucratic institutions. They look to us for practical lessons in modern management. We serve our highly-engaged community with professional, practical content and live events and by connecting leaders with experts who can coach them in Lean Startup.
ABOUT THE POSITION
We’re seeking a tenacious, metrics-driven Director of Business Development with a proven track record of mastering product knowledge, building meaningful client relationships, closing large deals with enterprise companies, and championing new ways of supporting our customers.
This is first and foremost a sales role, geared toward someone who thrives off of closing new business. We’re looking for a natural leader with a growth mindset. You’ll be learning about and documenting the goals and challenges of large organizations seeking Lean Startup education, determining if they’re the right fit for us to support, gaining clarity on the outcome(s) they’re seeking, committing to what our faculty can deliver, and closing sales.
You’ll thrive in this role if you have experience delivering results in these four core competencies:
- You have a natural sales ability and the experience to back it up. You’ve helped develop and lead business development/sales strategies to drive revenue growth.
You’re financially savvy.
- You’ve been the top business development/sales performer at multiple companies and have a track record of successful outcomes using data-driven decision-making.
- You're excited to share examples of your pitch strategies, the revenue growth experiments you've tested, and the impact you've had in your work.
Don’t bother talking table stakes. All you need to ramp up is time to fully master all the products we have to offer.
- You demonstrate a deep understanding of the business and the delicate balance between business development spending, testing, and results.
- You believe in and practice financial stewardship.
You’re in it to help us achieve company goals and make a bigger impact in our community.
- You are an excellent listener. You create meaningful relationships with customers and believe in matching their needs with the services that will solve their unique problems.
- You’re excited to work in the consulting services space. You’re comfortable pitching new (or refined) product offerings to existing and new markets and verticals.
- You’re a master at getting buy-in from senior leadership and executive-level stakeholders. You know what it takes to close a deal— from initial qualification and formal evaluation, through the negotiation phase. This includes pricing, legal, and procurement approval.
- You’re proud to represent, and intimately know, all facets of the products you’ve sold. You can clearly communicate the value of those products as validated solutions for your customers’ problems.
- You’re a team player. You have sales goals to hit, and you know how to work with other functions (e.g. marketing, account management, etc.) to make them happen.
- You can proudly share examples of how your actions and efforts supported company goals/growth.
In this role, you’ll work to achieve the following:
- Test, report on, learn, and iterate on the outcomes of sales initiatives
- You’ll be deeply involved with:
- Business development and sales planning and reporting (including setting annual revenue targets)
- Pipeline management and expansion opportunities
You’ll also work closely with the Director of Marketing to help inform and refine Lean Startup education products based on knowledge obtained from building meaningful client relationships.
You’ll fit right into our team if:
- You’re curious and resourceful. You love solving problems and aren’t afraid to admit your obsession with getting the details right.
- You have experience with, and genuinely enjoy working for a young, growing startup. You appreciate the opportunity to work on both the big picture, strategic thinking and ensuring the finer details get the required attention.
- You love that some processes haven’t been put in place. You’re excited to be deeply involved with building out the business development and sales functions as well as the systems and processes to steer a well-run team.
- You have a strong sense of ownership and urgency as it relates to the health of the company.
- You possess high levels of integrity, autonomy, and self-motivation.
- You are open to feedback, take ownership of your mistakes, and love applying your lessons learned to get 10x better.
- You have a keen ability to manage competing and changing priorities.
- You are assertive, fair, and capable of directing others and implementing projects with little to no supervision.
- You work well with cross-functional teams and hold yourself accountable for your actions.
- BA/BS in Marketing, Business, Communication or related field preferred. MBA or other related graduate degree a plus.
- 7+ years of sales experience
- Ability to travel 1-2x a month for prospect and client engagements and to represent Lean Startup Co.
- Familiarity with working remotely and collaboratively, as well as the tools to make remote collaborations successful (Slack, Zoom, Google apps). Note: The position is a 100% remote, full-time role, but we ask that you’re 1) located in the U.S. and 2) available to communicate during Pacific Time business hours.
- Excellent written, verbal, and presentation skills.
- Consistent and thorough attention to detail. It's important to understand the customer, craft a proposal that matches the outcomes they’re seeking, and ensure our Faculty can deliver on those commitments.
- Ability to juggle and prioritize multiple tasks simultaneously, and you enjoy collaborating with a wide range of people.
- Experience with Salesforce.
- Experience speaking to and negotiating with C-Suite and/or senior leaders at medium to enterprise-level companies.
- Availability during regular business hours to schedule calls with prospects in varying time zones.
Bonus if you have:
- Experience selling consulting services
- Business development experience in Lean Startup, tech and/or enterprise innovation spaces.
- You want to grow with our company and possess leadership and managerial skills.
Why You’ll Love Working With Us
- We encourage growth.
- If it’s your dream to become a leader in an organization, this is the role for you. We seek entrepreneurial types who want to be promoted and grow with us.
- You can work from the location of your choice as long as you have a working laptop and solid internet connection.
- We’re a 100% remote team that incorporates quarterly team onsites to ensure we have face time (fun team bonding activities included!)
- We encourage unplugging for vacation and prefer you don’t check email while you’re away.
- You’ll have a big impact.
- If you’ve ever wanted to be in the middle of massive business transformations, this is the role for you The work we do is powerfully transformative.
- We are a startup with global brand recognition headquartered in San Francisco, CA. Our global community will give you a front row seat to the innovation challenges they’re facing. Better yet, you’ll get to help them solve those problems.
*Note: Once you’ve applied for the job, we understand that you’ll be eager to hear back from us. Due to the high volume of applicants, we can’t respond individually regarding your specific application.Please do not reach out to us regarding your application. If there is a mutual fit, we will contact you to move forward with the next steps in the process.